Instead of asking what if... ask why not?

Sunday 3 October 2010

Home Page On Location


Not going to lie to you, but this brief was not for me. I found it really hard to get my head around, a little too open ended and just .. ye hard.
but Ive given it ago, you wouldn't think so by the end results but its the best i could do with the time limit. =\
We were asked to choose 3 genre of film, my choice; Horror, musical and documentary. we were then asked to choose 1 film from each and decided upon 2 stills which we were then to draw and analyse, then recreate. However what baffled me was we had to include our altered computer in it....


camera shot

dreams



Dreams 2
i decided on 'Dreamgirls' as my musical. the reason for this decision was because of the glamour, high tech camera work and intensity of the film.  Because i used mirrors to make my altered computer, i thought that it kinda tied in with the whole idea of glamour. i then decided that reflection was going to be a high flyer in my composition for all 3 of my chosen genre.
please bare with these pictures.. I'm not god with a camera, i would rather just draw. or cut and stick. me and technology are not meant to be.
By the way.  i don't have photo shop so these pictures are as they come.

What i have done to create the top image is simply take a picture of the reflection of the lens in of the camera in the top part of the computer using flash. Using macro and the starring tool on the camera it allowed me to to capture the high of glamour and intensity that the film consists of and then by changing it to black and white determined the time setting to which the film is set. 
For the bottom image I  used google to get a  scene from 'Deamgirls' and created a silotte from this which i then attached to the bottom screen of my computer. Turning off all the lights in the room the image was taken in and making sure the only setting was black I took the picture with a high flash intensity and hoped for the best.


macs 1

macs 2

The next film  i chose to analyse and recreate was 'Supersize me.' An American 2006 documentary  about how obesity is taking over in America. The reason for this choice is because i have have seen it before and am aware that the film was directed with low budget. This meant that aspects such as light, angle and composition were not as apparently directed, in comparsion to films such as 'Dreamgirls.' To make these pictures seem to have some relevance to the subject in hand, I went to McDonald's in Whythenshawe and asked for boxes and any packaging that it would be possible to take. Seen as the eating area was full and it was really busy i felt like a bit of an idiot asking for these things, but i covered it up saying i was looking for the nutritional values of the food. ( This made me laugh)
I tried to take the pictures in all different locations to sort of replicate the scene that i captured from the documentary. I'm aware there not, but the lack of lighting and and effects used when taking the picture kinda created the low budget look i was going for.




umm Laura


nice.
FINALLY. I decided to analyse the film mirrors. This was the first film i choose to recreate, and the last i decided to make thinking it would be the simplest. NO. that was not the case. Finding a model, was hard, getting my computer to stick on the wall was hard and getting to make my camera take negative pictures. HARD. But Ive done it. Horror. Poor Laura, she thought she was going to be modelling something slightly more glamorous.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are sooo art foundation, where the burger ones at?x

    ReplyDelete